Blog

15+ THINGS To Do For Promoting Your Self-Published Books and eBooks

Welcome. Authors and publishers typically have opinions on what works to market their print and eBooks. And we always want to know more! I’d like to share my current favorites with you.  

<– Susan on Amazon

At the top of this page you’ll find FIFTEEN LINKS! Mouse over each link to make it active, then CLICK on your choice. I hope you find some ideas that are new and help sell your books. I’ll be adding new links on a regular basis and you are invited to subscribe to this blog! (Sign up at the right.) Please share your comments. I look forward to hearing from you. 

We ARE Publishers! (Traditional Versus Self-Publishing)


I once worked as a development and acquisitions editor at Prentice Hall. I know exactly how authors are too often mistreated (including myself), and why everything had to change! Of course dumping the traditional way of doing things had nothing to do with making life better for authors, BUT—life is better for many of us, now that authors have some say about what happens to their work! 

In traditional publishing, authors complete manuscripts, write and submit a proposal to a publishing house (or have a literary agent do this for them, if one can be acquired). An editor reads it, considers whether it is right for the house, and decides either to reject it (leaving the author free to offer it to another publisher) or to publish it. 
If the publishing house decides to publish the book, the publisher buys the rights from the writer and pays him or her an advance on future royalties. The house puts up the money to design and package the book, prints as many copies of the book as editors think will sell, markets the book, and eventually distributes the finished book to the public.
As a self-publisher, the author becomes the publisher. The author must provide the funds required to publish the book, and is responsible for marketing and distributing the book, filling orders, and running advertising campaigns. In the past, the author had to decide on the number of copies to print, sometimes resulting in stacks of unsold books gathering dust in the garage! Fortunately, the Print on Demand (POD) technology now used by some self-publishing companies means that authors can have fewer copies printed—only as many as they need, in fact.
Here are some major differences between these systems:
One Month vs a Year (or longer)!—With traditional publishing, a manuscript can take years to become a book, but with self-publishing, an author can literally have a finished book—hardcover or paperback or both—in his or her hands within six months. With e-books, this can be reduced to weeks, or even days.
Your Money or Mine?—With self-publishing, you can pay from less than one hundred dollars to thousands of dollars, depending on the system you choose. In contrast, with traditional publishing, you are paid an advance, ranging from small sums to seven-digit figures. In traditional publishing, the publishing house, with its huge resources, experience, knowledge, and contacts, promotes your book IF AND ONLY IF you are a major author. Otherwise, they do little or nothing for your promotion. When you self-publish, you pay for everything—design, editing, printing, advertising, distribution—to get your book into stores and ultimately into people’s hands. You’re all by yourself; self-publishing works best for people who are good at self-marketing. The major payoff for all of your payout is control. Figure that 80 percent of your time will be spent in marketing and the other 20 percent in writing your book.
Who’s On First?—An editor at a publishing house can rip apart your work. Publishers might refuse to publish a book because it is too controversial, doesn’t fit the house’s list, or simply because it won’t sell. With self-publishing, you have much greater control over the contents, design, and appearance, as well as where the book is marketed and distributed.
You decide!

The good news is that the available tools—Print On Demand, the Internet, and online booksellers—are leveling the playing field between traditionally published and self-published books. Authors now have more options.